Sunday, January 6, 2013

Living our Current Dream with Joy

I love to read a good book to get me motivated, and inspired to do that things that will make a difference in life, and give me the satisfaction and joy that I  always seek for.  I love the feelings that come with a healthy attitude; one of appreciation and gratitude.  Life always seems to present challenges that try to take me from this healthy state of mind, so I read, and pray as I gather inspiration from others and from God.

This week I have dabbled a bit in the book, "Life is Too Short for Sensible Shoes", by Connie Sokol.  This is a fun motivating read, from a gal with a lot of energy, and a good positive message.  I look forward to getting back to this book.  However, in this book she quoted Amanda Dickson's book, "Wake up to a Happier Life".  This book looked interesting so I ordered it on Amazon for $4, and have had a chance to read through part of it today.  Amanda talks a lot about finding joy in every job that we have whether it be a janitor, teacher, a mother, etc.  She states, "The easiest way to have more joy in your work is to pick work that speaks to your soul.  And this means work that speaks to our soul, not necessarily work that looks glamorous or that others would think is terrific or that makes a lot of money (although it may be all those things)".  She declares that we all make choices of how we fill our days.  We have chosen to be married, or chosen to be a mother.  These choices fill our day with responsibilities, and events.  We also get to choose if we go about these activities begrudgingly, or with a happy attitude.  We can find the smallest things of positive nature to brighten our moods, and bring joy into every situation.

Another quote from Amanda,"The soul wants to work, to be proud of the work we do, to think of the work we do with joy and energy...All work feeds the spirit, or all work can feed the spirit.  Even washing the dishes".  There is always a sense of accomplishment when hard work is done, and something hard is accomplished. 

Some of us, (and I am guilty of this), are always waiting for this project to be finished and then I will be happy, or let me meet this goal and then I will be happy.  Or maybe we fall short of our goals, and that is a reason to not be happy, because everyone around us seems to be more successful than we are.  I like this quote from Amanda as well.  "Remind yourself that this is the life you chose, that you are living your dream right now - until you have another dream - and then you'll live that one.  But for now, your dream involves this job, these kids, this car, this dirty carpet, and this weedy garden.  This is your current dream."  Let's get passed the negative dull-drums and express gratitude and find the simple joys that are occurring everywhere around us.

This is an interesting statement from Dean Sampano:

Recently in one of my seminars, I was asked the question, what is the secret to success and a happy life? I paused and took a moment to reflect on over the last 25 years of victories but some failures too and I said this:
So many people spend their whole life trying to find the secret to happiness but over the years, I have come to realize that it’s not about finding it’s about “Being!” You see, it’s not about finding the right women; it’s about “Being” the right man. I said it’s not about finding the right employees it’s about ‘Being” the right leader and perhaps most of all it’s not about finding the right friends, it’s about ‘Being” the right friend. For the truth is if you go out looking for great friends an success, they will always seem scarce but if you go and “Be” the right friend, you will find friends every where you go and then you won’t ever have to look for happiness or success, because they will be looking for you!
Dean Sampano
President, Mass Consultants Canada

 Take a minute today and look inside your own dream, and enjoy each day those things that are creatomg the events of your dream.  Remember to include things that you love and are good at.  These activities will fill you cup,  and refresh your mind as you go about your daily tasks.

Best wishes for a bright 2013.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment