Sunday, September 9, 2012

Birthday Shopping with My Mom at Christopher & Banks - What a Treat!!!



My sweet mother just turned 79 on September 1st.  For many years, she has not been around for her birthday, so this year I was thrilled to be able to be with her and do something special for her on her birthday.  Actually, we were attending her class reunion in Driggs, Idaho on her birthday, and that was certainly a treat for me to be a part of.  But, our days were so scheduled between driving, and visiting with people, that I didn't get much one on one time with her.  So, I was hopeful for another opportunity to do something nice for her.  My dad had mentioned that she really need to go clothes shopping, because she never likes to spend money on clothes, and it had been several years (3-4) that she had purchased clothing for her stay in Samoa for 3 years.  So, I told my dad I would try to go with her.

The day was planned out for the shopping trip, but little my little our day was eaten up with other things, and finally after pulling my dad away from a great football game (Utah State vs U of U- with Utah State winning - wa hoo!) to join us for dinner, we decided we would sneak away for a little shopping spree.  My dad and my husband went to watch football and at 8 pm my mom and I headed out for the time of our lives.

We went to Nordstroms at first, thinking that we might find some great deal.  But as we walked into the store, and checked things out a bit, we were both frustrated and discouraged, thinking we might not be successful.  Suddenly, I saw a sweater on the wall for $149, and it reminded me of a store that I shop, and find some great deals on classy sweaters, and good stuff.  So, immediately, I told my mom, "lets go to Christopher & Banks, I know we will find some great deals there."  So, that was our plan.  We walked into C  & B and instantly we knew we had found a gold mine for "old lady clothes" is what my mom called it.  We had picked some clothes for her to try on, and at 8:45, we realized they closed at 9:00 pm.  So, my mom started trying on clothes as quickly as she could.

The ladies that were working were so kind and congenial, and told us not to worry, and to take our time.  They were so cute; at 9 pm they told us they needed to lock the door, and that we had would have the whole store to ourselves.  When my mom would come out with each outfit on, we would all cheer, and ooh and ah about how amazing she looked in everything that she tried on.  My mom normally wears loose fitting clothing, so you don't really know what a darling little body she has.  We had her try on a cute pair of blue jeans, and oh my! What a "hot little mama".  I honestly was so jealous of her cute little shape.  She looked so darling in every outfit we put her in.  I kept telling her, "this is not how shopping goes, usually you have a whole pile of clothes that are too tight, or just plain look awful."  But not tonight, my  mom had hit a gold mine--this store was catering to her, and she was lookin' goooooood!  I don't think I have had this much fun in a long time.  At first, you could hear her making funny worried sounds like, this is way to much money to spend on clothes.  But, at C & B they always have their back section  full of clothes with great discounts, and they were running a special on most of the other clothing.  So, for $250 she walked out of the store, with 2 pair of pants, a skirt, 2 shirts, and 3 sweaters, all wrapped up in cute C&B bags.  Ooh what a birthday!!!!  I don't know if she enjoyed it as much as I did.  But I had the time of my life!!  I love my sweet mother, and am so motivated by her sweet spirit, and dang she has such a cute little body for her age--I have a lot to work to get looking as good as she does at her darling age of 79.

Happy Birthday Mom!  You are a trooper.  I look forward to many more fun times together.  Thank you to our sweet hosts at Cristopher and Banks at Fashion Place Mall in Salt Lake City.  I am so sad we didn't get a picture with these gals, and even more sad that we didn't get their names.  What a special night they helped create for a 79th birthday.  We will remember it for a long time!
                                 Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment