Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Purple Tennis Shoes!



geeksneakers.com


This past weekend, I had the sweet opportunity to drive my parents (age 80 and 79) to their high school class reunion, which is held every year for any graduates who have been graduated for over 50 years.  It was a treat to be able to attend the reunion with these darling "old" people.  I came away inspired and amazed at these people so full of life.

At our table, we sat with the Nelson's:  2 sisters, (age 90 & 85-88), a brother (age 89), a daughter of the brother (age 53?), and wife of the brother (age 78).  This family was hilarious.  The sisters acted like they were 20 year old coming to a high school activity.  They were fun, silly, and had some spit fire in their personalities.  The 90 year old, was wearing purple tennis shoes.  Does that explain it all.

The 89 year old brother and his wife had ski passes at Targhee ski resort.  They tried to ski often; every morning if possible.  I could not believe their vitality.  Halfway through the program, it started lightening and thundering.  Immediately they all got up and said they had to go get their chickens in.  Was this just a key word to leave before the program started, or did they really have chickens that needed to get in before the storm?  Who knows.

At one point in the program, they had a 94 gentleman recite a poem that he had memorized at age 11.  I was in shock that he could remember this poem for so many years about whiskey, and give me a drink.  This man looked like he was 50 , not 90.

My parents were spotlighted for giving the most missionary service, spending 16 years in Samoa, serving 2 missions in Ukraine, 1 in Germany, and just recently returning from 3 years of service in Samoa.  I am amazed at their energy!

Briefly before the reunion, we stopped in to visit with my dear Aunt Davida (age 94), what a beautiful little lady.  She still walks around by herself.  She has a walker if needed, and oxygen when she gets over tired. Mentally, she was sharp as a tack.  We were all so uplifted by her positive spirit, and her beautiful.surroundings.  She is the proud owner of the most beautiful piano built in 1917 that was passed down from my dad's family.  You could tell that it has had incredible care, as it still looks brand new.  She informed us that she has taught a lot of students on this piano.  Matter of fact her last recital was with 16 students, just a couple of years ago.  She is now taking a break.

Wow!  Does Teton Valley  have "water of life",  "crystal clean air", or a"life of hard work" that has kept these people so strong and alive.  I want to know the secret of these long livers. How motivated and inspired I am by their lives. What a great trip for refilling my cup.These people full of life, and enjoying life.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to teach till you were 92?  I think I have a new goal and something to look forward to!

                                  Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment