Friday, February 15, 2013

Flowers for Winter


I am certainly enjoying these floral arrangements that I made to use at my nieces wedding reception.  They are refreshing especially during these cold winter months.  I love using silk flowers only if they look real.  There are really some cheap looking silk flowers out there.  I found these vases (which are actually candle stands, from Hobby Lobby).  They are black wood carved and very elegant looking.  I started with a piece of floral foam for each.  Covered the foam with moss, and used a floral pick machine to add a pick to each flower, so that they would anchor into the foam real well.  If you don't have a pick machine, you can add floral wire to the stems to give you either a longer stem or a more slender stem to go into the foam.  Make sure to use the floral tape to tape over your wire, so that your wire looks like a stem.  With the lily arrangement, I placed the lilies in first, the heads facing all directions, then added the mums all around to fill in to make a round shape.  Design tip:  Odd numbers of flowers seem to balance out an arrangement,  that is why I used 5 lilies.

The silk marigolds I purchased originally to use within the flowers that I did for my nieces wedding.  Try as I might, they didn't seem to look good mixed with the other flowers we were using.  I love, love, love them all by themself in their own arrangement.  I have gotten many comments on these arrangements.

After the flowers are placed into the foam.  I just sit the foam on top of the candle stand.  You really can't tell it is candlestand.  It just looks like an elegant vase of flowers.

Take time to create with beautiful flowers, they will warm your heart and bring color to your life, especially during these sometimes, dismal winter days.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Marilyn, Your arrangements look great. I saw you at BYB & I'm just popping by for a visit. It was great to meet you!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete