Sunday, September 18, 2011

Happy Birthday to a Remarkable Lady -September 16

As we were returning from the hospital with our son Levi who had just gone through his 3rd surgery for his broken arm/elbow; I seemed to neglect the importance of this day, until I was reminded at my grand daughter Embree's 2nd birthday party. Embree was born on the birthday of a very special lady - Myrtle Vee Green Hilton. Myrtle was an amazing mother, sister, grandmother, wife and friend. She is the type of lady who her memory, you don't want to forget. She was fun to be around. She always made you laugh. She was an incredibly hard worker. A great cook, gardener, seemstress. was dedicated to making life great for all those who around her. We have many wonderful memories of this great lady.

For many years Myrt & Freck would take their family to a beautiful location in Utah for a camping vacation at Flaming Gorge to raft, fish, swim and boat. This was a tradition that was never missed. Several years ago, her life was taken while vacationing at Flaming Gorge at the close of a fireworks display for the 7th of July. She was hit by a Semi truck in crowded traffic. Her life was taken at the age of 72. This incident has had such an impact on all Myrts posterity. She was so full of life, and to have that taken away from her and us, has seemed to be very unfair.

The miracle of this story is that her sweet husband "Freck" has continued to keep this tradition of going to Flaming Gorge alive. As hard as it must be for him to relive such a frightening experience, he continues to go to Flaming Gorge; shares that sacred spot that over looks the lake, where he lost his sweetheart of so many years.

At the time of Myrt's passing, I offered to be the care keeper of her precious recipes. She was an amazing cook. My intentions were to publish a cookbook within the year. I have been working on it off and on throughout the years, but haven't yet kept my commitment, for which I am deeply sorry. I recently had a great idea, that I would set aside a special page and weekly posts that would publish her recipes. And once I have typed up and selected the recipes for the book, I would then publish a hard copy for her children and grand children.

So, I invite each of her posterity or those who love her to add comments or suggestions or recipes that you have to this blog. They will be preserved and added to her book. This is my gift for Myrt on her birthday September 16th (a few days late).

Myrt's Yum Yum Dessert ( serves 15)

Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup margarine
2Tbsp. Sugar
1/4 cup nuts

Mix like pie crust adn press into a 9x13 pan and bake 15 min. at 350 degrees. Cool.

Blend and Cream together:
1 8 oz. pkg Cream Cheese
1 cup Powdered Sugar

Fold in:
1 cup cool whip from an 8 oz. container

Spread mixture over the cooled crust. Mix 2 small packages of instant chocolate pudding with 4 cups of milk. Let set up for 5 minutes. Pour over cheese mixture. Chill for a while, then put the rest of the 8 oz. container of cool whip over top and sprinkle nuts on top.

(I remember being served often this incredible dessert as we would attend family parties. She was used to cooking school lunch, so she would prepare enough food for an army. Every bit of it was scrumptious!)


2 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much Marilyn!! My plan is to make every recipe you post. I can't wait to share grandma with my family: ) Love you Grandma...now let's get cooking together.

    Much love, Hailee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. It was fun to hear from you. IT is always good to remember the memories of grandma Myrt. I hope you will enjoy the recipes.

    ReplyDelete